Saturday, January 29, 2011

Oatmeal Packets

My mom made oatmeal packets. She got the recipe from FishMama and tweaked it a bit. My baby sister eats oatmeal pretty much every morning for breakfast and my dad eats it about half the week. So, we can burn through oatmeal pretty quickly around here.

For the price of a box of 10 instant oatmeal packets (around $3.50 at our grocery store), we can make over a month's worth of homemade oatmeal packets. Plus, there are probably fewer preservatives. The large tub of generic quick oats cost $1.98 and the brown sugar was $1.50. We already had the little baggies (which we can reuse) and the cinnamon.

For each baggie, I put 1/4 cup quick oats, 2 teaspoons of brown sugar, and a hefty sprinkle of cinnamon (though definitely not the 1/8 teaspoon that Fishmama calls for). I also did not include milk powder or salt--I make the oatmeal with milk instead of water when I cook it, and let's be honest, who really needs more sodium??


This is me making oatmeal packets. Well, you know, supervising.....from a different room....on the sofa...


Here's the finished product:

My mom made 16 packets and didn't even use half the oatmeal. A very frugal endeavor and super easy for morning routines!

1 comment:

  1. brilliant! i was literally just thinking yesterday that i need to make up my own packets cause we can go through 2-3 a morning if we ALL have it now that g is doing regular oatmeal too

    ReplyDelete