Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bookin' It: July update

I am way more on top of my reading this month. I actually remembered to keep track of what I read so that I could tell all you fine folks!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - What an entertaining book! Definitely one of my favorites I've read in a long while. Very witty but serious at the same time. Go get it. It's worth a read.

Auschwitz: A new history - Totally great book. I really like WWII history, so I thoroughly enjoyed it. If WWII/Holocaust isn't an area of interest for you, I'd pass this one by because the atrocities are (obviously) unreal; however, the politics/planning/design that went into Auschwitz was really interesting to read about. I especially enjoyed reading this one on the heels of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society since the author discusses the German occupation of Guernsey and how some of its inhabitants were sent to Auschwitz.

The South Beach Diet - This is a book about food. People food. How could this book possibly be bad?? Anyway, my mom read it so that she could lose her "baby weight". As best I can tell, there's no baby in her, so I'm unclear on what that means, but the book was good and she's had good results so far.

Bummer that I didn't get more reading done. My goal to read 100 pages per day is going well. I haven't hit it every day, but it's been pretty close. Unfortunately, I didn't start it until late in the month, so I didn't have enough time to ramp things up and get a good long list. Though, 3 books, plus Bible reading with an infant at home seems like a pretty good effort!

2 comments:

  1. I agree about The Guernsey...Society. Well worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reviewing the Potato Peel Pie for my blog (will link to the next Booking It post over at Life as MOM)...and I LOVED it! Totally didn't know what to expect, but was very happy with what I got. Re: the South Beach Diet. My hubby and I have been eating SB-friendly since the end of January and so far he has lost around 50lbs. and I've lost 23 lbs. I highly recommend it as a life-style change - in other words, change the way you look at food, the way you eat, how you shop, etc. It's working for us and it's actually "easy" and un-diet like. :-) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete