Thursday, February 10, 2011

Booking It - January & February Update


I am combining January & February since LifeAsMom posts on the 10th. I hadn't read much to report by January 10th, so I rolled it until February.

Broke - Glenn Beck. Does that scream "republican" too much?

Truman - Oh how I enjoyed this one! McCullough is such a great storyteller. He does such a wonderful job of combining sometimes-boring history with fun tidbits. You really do walk away feeling like you know the person he's writing about. This one took up the bulk of my time--it's an 1100 page book, but totally worth the read.

QBQ! The Question Behind the Question - A great classic on personal accountability. It's a quick easy read. Also a great reminder that much more would get accomplished if we worked hard at changing ourselves for the better rather than changing everyone else around us.

The Duggars: 20 and Counting! - This one was a delight. Honestly, I love these people and I don't even know them. Do I agree with all their beliefs? No. But I really do admire and respect their stick-to-it-iveness. They have so may people criticizing them and in the face of it, they remain exceedingly committed to their faith. It was particularly interesting to get some of the back story on Jim Bob and Michelle's upbringing. I liked getting to see what makes them tick. There are also some recipes in the book that I'd like to try. None of them seem even vaguely healthy, but they do sound yummy.

4 comments:

  1. Hm, my post was eaten, lol. I think the Duggars are a nice family as well. I have started reading "Broke" a few times, but have to keep putting it down to go to something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broke, Truman, and the Duggars are all on my at-some-point, when-I-have-time to-read list. I read Mcullough's book on John Adams and really enjoyed it, so I want to read Truman. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truman sounds interesting. I'd like to start reading some bios of President's, but am usually daunted by the size of the books! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Truman book sounds interesting. I am also intrigued by the Duggars too.

    ReplyDelete